2 dead, 7 injured in weekend shootings

police car
PHOTO: Melissa Mitman

Two people were killed and seven others were wounded in separate shootings over the holiday weekend in Philadelphia, authorities said.

Maria Rosado, 33, was shot once in the back of the head at around 9 p.m. Friday inside a second floor bedroom at a house on the 3000 block of Ruth Street in Kensington, police said.

She died early the next morning at Temple University Hospital. Investigators said she knew the shooter, though that person has yet to be apprehended.

Police said a man in his early 20s was shot three times — in the upper back, arm and elbow — at around 8:30 p.m. Friday on the 6000 block of N. Beechwood Street in East Germantown.

Officers rushed him to Einstein Medical Center, where he died minutes later. There have been no arrests.

Three people were hospitalized after shots rang out at around 4:30 p.m. Saturday near the corner of 57th Street and Hazel Avenue in West Philadelphia, according to police.

A 51-year-old man was shot in the left leg; a 53-year-old man received a gunshot wound to his lower left leg; and a woman in her early 30s was shot in the right cheek, authorities said. All three were listed in stable condition at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center.

Earlier in the day, just after 11:30 a.m., a 22-year-old man and an 18-year-old man were shot inside a car on the 3800 block of Parrish Street in the Mantua neighborhood.

Authorities said the younger victim sustained wounds to his chest, right shoulder and right leg. The other man was shot in the right shoulder, right arm and right thigh. Both are expected to survive, police said.

At around 3:30 a.m. Sunday, a 34-year-old man was shot in the right leg, buttocks and scrotum on the 3100 block of Kensington Avenue in Kensington, according to police.

He was rushed to Temple University Hospital and is expected to physically recover.

A 26-year-old man was shot once in the left arm just before 8 p.m. Saturday on the 1100 block of Divinity Street in Kingsessing, authorities said. He was listed in stable condition at Penn Presbyterian.

Detectives are investigating after a man in his late 20s or early 30s showed up to Temple University Hospital with a stab wound to his neck just before midnight Saturday.

The victim was listed in critical condition, and authorities have not established where the stabbing occurred.

More from our Sister Sites