2 in custody, 2 sought in fatal shooting outside Roxborough HS

Roxborough
Police vehicles are parked at Roxborough High School following the Sept. 27 shooting.
AP Photo/Matt Rourke

Police have named two more juvenile suspects in last month’s ambush shooting outside a Philadelphia high school that killed a 14-year-old and wounded four other teenagers after a football scrimmage.

Police said they took Zyhied Jones, 17, into custody and are seeking a 15-year-old in the Sept. 27 shooting outside of Roxborough High School. Authorities earlier announced that they had arrested 21-year-old Yaaseen Bivins. An arrest warrant is out for 16-year-old Dayron Burney-Thorne, who has yet to be captured.

Police said the four suspects identified so far have been charged or will be charged with murder, four counts of aggravated assault, firearms crimes and other counts in the shooting. They earlier said they were seeking six suspects: five shooters and a driver.

Authorities said five people jumped from a parked SUV and opened fire on teens who were walking away from an athletic field at the high school. Nicolas Elizalde, a W.B. Saul High School student who played football for Roxborough, was shot in the chest and died a short time later. Gunfire also struck four other boys ranging in age from 14 to 17. More than 60 bullets were fired, investigators said.

Police have said they don’t believe Elizalde was one of the intended targets of the attack.

Hours before the shooting, Mayor Jim Kenney, a Democrat, signed an order banning guns and deadly weapons from the city’s indoor and outdoor recreational spaces, including parks, basketball courts and pools. A judge barred the city from enforcing that order, siding with a legal challenge citing a state law that prevents any city or county from passing gun-control measures.

Metro staff contributed to this report. 

More from our Sister Sites