2 killed in early morning shootings

Police car
Jack Tomczuk

Two men were fatally shot early Sunday morning in Philadelphia, authorities said.

A 45-year-old man died just after 1 a.m., minutes after being shot ten times — including once in the back of the head, twice in the back and twice in the chest — on the 5900 block of Market Street in West Philadelphia.

Earlier, just before 12:15 a.m., officers rushed a man to the hospital with multiple gunshot wounds after someone opened fire on the 2700 block of Ruth Street in Kensington, police said.

He died a short time later at Temple University Hospital. Authorities did not provide his age.

The Ruth Street gunfire also hit a 34-year-old woman in the right hip, according to investigators. Her injuries are not expected to be life-threatening.

Later Sunday, at around 12:45 p.m., a 20-year-old man was shot in the hip and pelvis on the 4500 block of N. 17th Street in Logan, police said. Officers rushed him to Temple University Hospital in critical condition.

Seven people were wounded in shootings Saturday.

An 18-year-old man was shot in the leg and left hand and a bullet grazed his head at around 10:15 p.m. at the corner of Castor Avenue and Arrott Street in the Northwood section of Northeast Philadelphia, police said.

He was taken to St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children and is in stable condition.

In West Philadelphia, a 31-year-old man was shot once in the shoulder just before 9:15 p.m. on the 200 block of S. 62nd Street.

He later showed up to Delaware County Memorial Hospital and is expected to physically recover, according to authorities.

A 16-year-old boy was shot in the buttocks at around 8:45 p.m. Saturday on the 5300 block of Hadfield Street in Kingsessing. Officers took him to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, and his injuries are not expected to be life-threatening.

Three people were hospitalized after gunfire erupted at around 6:30 p.m. Saturday on the 1600 block of N. 23rd Street in North Philadelphia, police said.

A 30-year-old man was shot in the face, abdomen and right hand. Investigators said a 36-year-old man was struck several times in both hands, and a 31-year-old man was shot twice in the left hand.

All three are expected to survive and were taken to Temple University Hospital.

Just before 11:30 a.m. Saturday, a 43-year-old was stabbed in the chest and stomach on the 1900 block of Dudley Street in South Philadelphia, authorities said.

He was transported to Jefferson University Hospital and listed in stable condition.

Early Saturday morning, just after 1:30 a.m., someone opened fire on the 4900 block of N. Carlisle Street in Logan, hitting a 24-year-old man in the left leg. He was in stable condition at Einstein Medical Center.

Investigators arrested a man and found a gun at the scene. No further information was released.

Police reported no arrests in the immediate aftermath of the other incidents.