Weekend shootings in Philly leave 11 injured

South Philadelphia shooting
Jack Tomczuk

At least 11 people were wounded in shootings over the weekend across Philadelphia, authorities said.

In addition, on Sunday morning, a 32-year-old man was rushed to the hospital in serious condition with wounds to his leg and hand after being stabbed in North Philadelphia, police said.

He was attacked just after 5 a.m. near the corner of 18th and York streets, investigators said. No one was immediately arrested.

Detectives believe three teenagers, possibly as young as 14, were responsible for a double shooting just before 3 a.m. Sunday on the 2700 block of S. Randolph Street in South Philadelphia.

The teens approached three men in a back alley and demanded money, police said. Following an altercation, one of the suspects pulled out a gun and fired at least three shots, according to authorities.

Officers rushed a 21-year-old man to the hospital in critical condition. A 20-year-old man was also hospitalized with nonlife-threatening injuries. Both had been shot in their legs, police said.

Gunmen inside an SUV fired at least 18 shots at a man outside a bar Saturday night in the Nicetown section of North Philadelphia.

The shooting occurred at around 10:45 p.m. on the 1600 block of W. Hunting Park Avenue, authorities said.

Officers found a 24-year-old man who had been shot in the buttocks, right leg and left thigh. He was taken to the hospital and is expected to survive, according to police.

Several cars parked near the bar were hit by gunfire, and investigators at the scene found 18 fired 9mm cartridges, three copper projectiles and a live round.

Just before 10:15 p.m. Saturday, two men were struck when someone opened fire at the corner of K and Tioga streets in the Harrowgate neighborhood.

Police said a man, whose age was not immediately available, was shot in the stomach and taken to the hospital in critical condition. The other victim, a 20-year-old man, was hit in the right hand and is expected to physically recover.

Minutes earlier, just after 10 p.m., a man showed up at a local hospital with a gunshot wound to his left leg following a shooting at 23rd and Diamond streets in North Philadelphia.

Officers at the scene recovered eight 9mm cartridges and nine .40 caliber casings, investigators said. Two male suspects, possibly teenagers, were spotted running from the area after the shots were fired.

Early Saturday, at around 2:15 a.m., two men were injured when gunshots erupted on Girard Avenue near Frankford Avenue in Fishtown.

Authorities said a 33-year-old man was shot twice in the abdomen, and a 26-year-old man was struck once in the left thigh. Both were later listed in stable condition.

In West Philadelphia, a 26-year-old man was shot 12 times in his legs and lower back at around 1:45 a.m. on the 1100 block of N. 41st Street, police said. His injuries are not expected to be life-threatening.

At around the same time, in North Philadelphia, near Temple University’s main campus, someone opened fire on a crowd standing outside a house on the 1800 block of Diamond Street, investigators said.

The suspect got out of a car before shooting at the group, hitting a 19-year-old woman and a 30-year-old man.

The male victim was shot in the abdomen and rushed to the hospital in critical condition, police said. The woman was struck in the foot and is expected to physically recover.

No arrests were made in the immediate aftermath of any of the shootings.