12 shot in Philly in violent 12-hour period

PHOTO: Jack Tomczuk

Over the course of 12 hours, three people were fatally shot and nine others were injured by gunfire in Philadelphia, authorities said.

Then, on Thursday, a 13-year-old boy and an adult man were shot at around 1 p.m. inside the Federal Donuts at 7th Street and Fairmount Avenue in Northern Liberties.

Police said the boy was shot twice in the left leg, and his injuries were not life-threatening. The man, whose age was not provided, was hit multiple times and later listed in critical condition at Jefferson University Hospital.

6ABC reported that the man ran into the donut shop as two people were shooting at him. The boy was sitting inside Federal Donuts with his family, according to the report.

Among those killed in the overnight violence was a 30-year-old man who was shot multiple times in the back of the head just after 12:30 a.m. Thursday on the 100 block of Hansberry Street in Germantown, according to police.

Medics who responded to the incident pronounced him dead at the scene.

Earlier, at around 10:15 p.m. Wednesday, a 29-year-old man was shot in the head, chest and leg on the 4500 block of Poplar Street in the Mill Creek section of West Philadelphia, authorities said. He died a short time later at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center.

Investigators said a gun was found on the victim.

In Hunting Park, a 50-year-old man died after being shot three times just before 3:15 p.m. Wednesday on the 1100 block of W. Lycoming Street.

Police reported no arrests in connection with any of the killings.

A 25-year-old man showed up to Einstein Medical Center at around 2:30 a.m. Thursday with gunshot wounds to his chest and stomach after shots were fired on the 6400 block of N. 10th Street in East Oak Lane.

He was in critical condition, according to authorities.

Three people were hospitalized after gunfire erupted at around 1:45 a.m. Thursday on the 2300 block of Oxford Street in North Philadelphia.

Philadelphia Housing Authority officers rushed a 19-year-old man with wounds to his chest, hip and side to Temple University Hospital, police said.

Two other victims — a 20-year-old man and a 19-year-old woman — showed up to Jefferson University Hospital in a private vehicle. All three are expected to survive, authorities said.

On Wednesday, just before 11:45 p.m., a 60-year-old man was shot in the right hip in the parking lot of the McDonald’s restaurant at Broad Street and Allegheny Avenue in North Philadelphia.

He was taken to Temple University Hospital, and his injuries are not considered life-threatening, according to police.

A 30-year-old man was in critical condition after being shot once in the chest at around 7 p.m. Wednesday on the 800 block of N. 10th Street in the Poplar section of North Philadelphia, police said.

Investigators said a 34-year-old man was walking just before 6:30 p.m. Wednesday on the 1200 block of W. Airdrie Street in Hunting Park when he was struck by gunfire.

With a gunshot wound to his left leg, he walked to Temple University Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition, police said.

Two men were sitting in a minivan just before 3 p.m. Wednesday on the 7100 block of Stenton Avenue in East Mount Airy when someone opened fire, hitting both men several times, investigators said.

A 32-year-old man was shot in the head, back and buttocks, and the other victim, a 29-year-old man, sustained multiple gunshot wounds to his abdomen, according to authorities. Both were in critical condition.

No one was apprehended in the immediate aftermath of any of the shootings, police said.


Cyclist killed in crash

A 29-year-old man who was riding his bicycle on Broad Street in North Philadelphia died Wednesday night after being hit by two cars, authorities said.

The crash occurred at around 8 p.m. near the corner of Broad and Lehigh Avenue. A Dodge Challenger heading north on Broad hit the cyclist, who was knocked into the southbound lanes and struck by a Nissan Rogue, police said.

Investigators said the drivers of both vehicles remained at the scene. No charges have been filed, but the crash remains under investigation.