3 killed, 5 wounded in shootings Monday night in Philadelphia

Jack Tomczuk

Gunfire left three people dead and five others injured Monday night in Philadelphia.

Three teenagers were struck when shots were fired into a red sedan at around 11:15 p.m. in the parking lot of a Popeyes restaurant at 4th Street and Lehigh Avenue in the Fairhill section of North Philadelphia.

Police said a 19-year-old man who was shot multiple times in the head was taken to Temple University Hospital, where he died a short time later.

An 18-year-old woman was shot several times, and another 19-year-old man was hit multiple times in the back, authorities said. They are expected to survive.

In Frankford, officers called to the 4500 block of Frankford Avenue just before 9 p.m. Monday found a man, described as being in his late 20s, with a gunshot wound to the head inside the first floor of a property, police said. Medics declared him dead at the scene.

Investigators say three men ambushed and fatally shot 26-year-old Quran Justice just before 8:15 p.m. Monday on the 7400 block of State Road in Holmesburg.

Justice, who worked in the area, pulled into a driveway in his car and was followed by a white 2019-2021 Dodge Journey with tinted windows, police said. The gunmen allegedly jumped out of the SUV and shot him multiple times.

Through Monday, 337 people have been killed in Philadelphia this year, up 4% from this date in 2021, when the city recorded its highest homicide total, according to police data.

Early Tuesday, just before 12:15 a.m., someone shot a 28-year-old man twice in the thigh and once in the buttocks on the 2900 block of N. 29th Street in North Philadelphia, authorities said. The victim’s injuries are not considered life-threatening.

Two men were wounded when shots rang out at around 11:50 p.m. Monday on the 5900 block of Chestnut Street in West Philadelphia.

Police said a 40-year-old man was shot multiple times throughout his body and a 60-year-old man was struck once in the right shoulder. Both were later listed in stable condition at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center.

No arrests were made in the immediate aftermath of any of the recent shootings.