Alleged robber killed in South Philly shooting

Melissa Mitman

Police say a man shot and killed a would-be robber Wednesday night in South Philadelphia.

A 24-year-old man was standing on the 2200 block of S. 6th Street just before 11:30 p.m. when he was approached by a 30-year-old man riding a bicycle, according to investigators. The cyclist allegedly pulled out a gun and tried to rob the man.

Authorities said he pulled out his own gun and fired at least one shot at the man on the bike. He was taken to Jefferson University Hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries at around 2:10 a.m. Thursday, police said.

The shooter was licensed to carry and officers on the scene recovered both guns, investigators said. Homicide detectives are actively probing the incident.

On Thursday, at 11:30 a.m., a 20-year-old man was in his foot and abdomen on the 7600 block of Gilbert Street in East Mount Airy, authorities said. His injuries are not considered life-threatening.

Elsewhere, six people were wounded in shootings throughout the city Wednesday night.

Just before 11 p.m., police were called to the 2900 block of N. Front Street in Fairhill, where they discovered a 26-year-old man with several gunshot wounds to his chest and shoulder, authorities said.

He was rushed to Temple University Hospital in critical condition.

In Frankford, a 33-year-old man was stabbed in the chest at around 10 p.m. Wednesday on the 4600 block of Tackawanna Street, police said. He is expected to survive, and authorities arrested a suspect in the case.

Three people were injured when gunshots erupted just before 9:45 p.m. Wednesday near the corner of Aramingo Avenue and Ann Street in Port Richmond, police said.

Officers in the area heard the gunfire and found a 29-year-old woman with wounds to her back and buttocks and a 46-year-old man who had been shot in the chest. Authorities said the woman was in critical condition following the shooting, while the man was listed as stable.

The third victim, a 26-year-old man, had been shot in the abdomen. He was taken to Jefferson Torresdale Hospital and is expected to survive.

No arrests were made in the immediate aftermath of the shooting.

A man was hospitalized with serious injuries after a shooting that happened at around 8:45 p.m. Wednesday on the 2800 block of Mutter Street in Fairhill, police said. He was shot twice in the left leg, according to investigators.

Someone shot a 39-year-old man twice in the back just after 8 p.m. on the 5500 block of Warrington Avenue in Kingsessing, police said. He was taken to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center and is expected to survive.