Five teens shot in Philly over weekend

police car
PHOTO: Melissa Mitman

Five teenagers were shot Saturday and early Sunday, including a 16-year-old boy who was gunned down in North Philadelphia.

The boy was shot multiple times in his torso just after 1 a.m. Sunday on the 2200 block of W. Diamond Street, police said. He ran for about a block before collapsing on the ground.

Good Samaritans in a nearby car saw him and picked him up, authorities said. They intended to take him for medical treatment when they encountered a police officer, who transported the 16-year-old to Temple University Hospital.

He died shortly thereafter. No arrests have been made, and there was no word on a motive.

Later in the morning, just after 3:30 a.m., two teens arrived at the hospital after shots rang out on the 5100 block of Lancaster Avenue in the Parkside section of West Philadelphia, authorities said.

A 16-year-old boy was shot in the back, and he was listed in critical condition. The other victim, a 17-year-old boy, was hit once in the right leg. His injuries are not life-threatening.

Police recovered a gun at the scene, but no arrests have been reported.

Officers were called at around 9 p.m. Saturday to 52nd Street and Larchwood Avenue in West Philadelphia for a report of a person with a gun.

They found a 19-year-old man inside a 52nd Street corner store with two gunshot wounds to his right leg. A 29-year-old man who had been shot in the right elbow arrived at Mercy Catholic Medical Center in a private vehicle.

Investigators said the victims told detectives they were near Malcolm X Park when they heard gunshots. Both men are in stable condition.

On Saturday afternoon, just after 4 p.m., a 23-year-old man was shot in the chest and arm on the corner of 61st and Christian streets in West Philadelphia, police said. He was rushed to the hospital, where he died at 5:20 p.m.

In Kingsessing, a 15-year-old girl was wounded after shots were fired in a large crowd gathered early Saturday morning near a recreation center.

Officers were called to the 5800 block of Trinity Street at 12:40 a.m. for a report of a shooting and initially couldn’t find any victims. About 15 minutes later, the girl flagged down an officer and told him she had been shot in her left arm.

An argument broke out among the group at Francis Myers Park near 58th Street and Chester Avenue, investigators said. Someone fired a shot in the air, everyone ran and the girl heard an additional shot and realized she had been struck in the elbow.

Her injuries are not life-threatening, authorities said. Police have yet to make an arrest.