Four killed in weekend shootings

PHOTO: Jack Tomczuk

A teenager was gunned down early Saturday morning while attending a vigil for a young man who was shot earlier this month in Northwest Philadelphia.

He was one of at least three people killed in shootings over the weekend in the city, according to police.

Officers were called to the 500 block of E. Duval Street in East Germantown just before 12:30 a.m. Saturday, and they found the 17-year-old boy laying next to an SUV with multiple gunshot wounds. Medics pronounced him dead at the scene.

Investigators said the boy was at an event honoring 20-year-old Yusef Nash, who was killed Oct. 17 on the 1000 block of E. Mount Airy Avenue in East Mount Airy.

A 24-year-old man died Sunday afternoon after he was shot in the stomach just after 11:30 a.m. on the 300 block of N. 62nd Street in West Philadelphia, police said.

Earlier in the day, just after 2 a.m., a 37-year-old man was shot multiple times in the head and buttocks in front of a store on the 6400 block of Rising Sun Avenue in the Lawndale neighborhood of Northeast Philadelphia, police said.

Officers rushed him to Albert Einstein Medical Center, where he died about a half-hour later, authorities said.

In West Philadelphia, a 26-year-old man was shot three times just before 8 a.m. Saturday on the 6200 block of Christian Street, police said.

He had wounds to his right shoulder and right abdomen and succumbed to his injuries a short time later at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, according to authorities.

Police reported no arrests in connection with any of the killings.

Detectives are also investigating what police are calling a “suspicious death” in the Eastwick section of Southwest Philadelphia.

A homeowner on the 8000 block of Lyons Avenue at around 9:30 a.m. Saturday found an unresponsive 21-year-old man in the backyard. Police said the man had blunt force trauma to his head and a bullet wound in the right side of his chest.

Authorities did not release further information.

Several others were left seriously injured following shootings and stabbings Saturday and Sunday.

Police said a 35-year-old man was shot in the stomach at 3:30 p.m. Sunday inside a property on the 900 block of N. Fallon Street in West Philadelphia.

He was taken to Penn Presbyterian in critical condition. Authorities recovered a gun at the scene but are still on the hunt for a suspect.

A shootout early Sunday morning near a strip club in South Philadelphia left at at least two people hospitalized, police said.

Three men aiming to go to Bucks Cabaret parked on the 3300 block of Columbus Boulevard, and were approached by three men armed with guns.

The suspects demanded money, investigators said, and one of the victims, a 30-year-old man, handed over about $500.

He relayed the story to detectives who arrived at Jefferson University Hospital at 2:30 a.m. following the incident.

He said the other two men he was with refused to comply, sparking an exchange of gunfire. One of the robbers apparently told his accomplices he was hit, and the trio fled in a car.

The 30-year-old man drove the people he was with — a 24-year-old man and a 20-year-old man — to the hospital. Both were listed in stable condition, police said.

In Hunting Park, a 55-year-old man was shot in the mouth just after 8:45 p.m. Saturday on the 3900 block of N. 7th Street, authorities said.

He was transported to Temple University hospital in a private vehicle, and his injuries are not life-threatening, according to police.

A 32-year-old man was stabbed in the back at around 8 p.m. Saturday near the corner of Kensington and Allegheny avenues in Kensington. Officers rushed him to Temple Hospital with serious injuries.

Police said a 54-year-old man was stabbed in the neck and thigh at around 3:30 p.m. Saturday inside a house on the 3300 block of N. Orkney Street in North Philadelphia.

He was taken to Temple Hospital, where he was in critical condition.

Authorities said a 24-year-old man showed up to Jefferson Frankford Hospital at around 7 a.m. Saturday with multiple stab wounds to his chest and back. The victim was in critical condition, and investigators are working to determine the location of the stabbing.

No arrests have been made in connection with any of the incidents.

More from our Sister Sites