Police released new surveillance images and video Wednesday of three people considered suspects in last week’s shooting outside Roxborough High School that killed a 14-year-old boy and injured four other teenagers.
The clip and screenshots show the suspects — teenagers or young men dressed in all black — at a gas station and inside a convenience store.
Authorities issued an arrest warrant Tuesday for 16-year-old Dayron Burney-Thorne. He had not been apprehended at the time Metro went to print Wednesday.
Burney-Thorne, investigators said, will be charged with murder, four counts of attempted murder and other crimes, through police have refused to detail his alleged role in the shooting.
Five gunmen opened fire on a group of teenagers Sept. 27 as they left a football scrimmage and walked toward the locker rooms. A driver waited inside a Ford Explorer, which was reportedly recovered by detectives last week in Southwest Philadelphia.
Nicolas Elizalde, a 14-year-old football player on Roxborough’s junior varsity team, was struck in the chest and died a short time later. His funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon.
In addition to the Explorer, police on Monday found a Chevrolet Impala believed to be connected to the suspects at 25th and Willard streets in North Philadelphia, PPD Homicide Capt. Jason Smith said.
Smith said Tuesday that detectives had identified seven persons of interest, as well as Burney-Thorne. He added that six young men or teens participated in the ambush and said police are investigating whether they have been involved in other shootings.
Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw, during a press briefing Tuesday, urged anyone involved in the Roxborough shooting to turn themselves in.
“We know who you are, and you’re just delaying the inevitable,” she said.
A $45,000 reward is being offered for information leading to a homicide arrest and conviction in the case. Tipsters can contact the Homicide Unit at 215-686-3334/3335; call or text 215-686-8477; or go to www.phillypolice.com/forms/submit-a-tip.