North Philly shooting leaves officer with graze wound

Philadelphia Police Car – PHILADELPHIA – PENNSYLVANIA – APRIL 6, 2017
Getty Images

A Philadelphia police officer was grazed in the head by a bullet while responding to a report of a carjacking Monday night in North Philadelphia, authorities said.

The shooting occurred shortly after 8 p.m. on the 2300 block of N. Reese Street. Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw told reporters at the scene that the suspects opened fire on officers without warning.

The 28-year-old officer, who has been on the force for four years, is expected to make a full recovery. Police did not identify him.

Outlaw said Monday night that a person was apprehended and is expected to be charged with illegal possession of a firearm, though their involvement in the shooting is unclear.

Authorities did not release additional details Tuesday.

Six other people were shot Monday night and during the day Tuesday in Philadelphia.

A 34-year-old man was shot several times in the back and torso just before 11:45 p.m. Monday on the 1700 block of W. Juniata Street in the Nicetown neighborhood, police said.

He was rushed to Einstein Medical Center, where he died at 4:15 a.m. Tuesday, according to authorities.

Investigators said a teenager nearly crashed into a police cruiser while trying to drive himself to the hospital after being shot Tuesday afternoon in North Philadelphia.

The 19-year-old man was hit three times in the back of his left shoulder just before 2 p.m. on the 500 block of Master Street. After the near miss, officers took him to Temple University Hospital, where he was in stable condition.

Authorities said a 51-year-old man was hospitalized after being stabbed in both arms just after 1 a.m. Tuesday inside a house on the 1800 block of E. Tulpehocken Street in West Oak Lane.

Police made an arrest and recovered a weapon at the scene. The victim is expected to physically recover.

A 19-year-old woman was struck in the left shoulder after someone opened fire at around 12:45 a.m. Tuesday by the intersection of 64th Street and Lebanon Avenue in Overbrook, investigators said.

She was taken to Lankenau Medical Center and is expected to survive, according to authorities.

Just after 11 p.m. Monday, a 22-year-old man was shot once in the shoulder near the corner of 10th and Rockland streets in Logan, police said. He showed up at Einstein Medical Center and is being treated for nonlife-threatening injuries.

In West Philadelphia, a 17-year-old boy was shot in the buttocks and left thigh just before 11 p.m. at the intersection of 60th and Market streets. He was taken to Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital in stable condition.

A 26-year-old man is recovering after being shot twice in the hand just before 7:45 p.m. Monday on the 4800 block of Merion Street in the Parkside section of West Philadelphia.

Police said he knew the shooter, though no one was arrested in the immediate aftermath of the incident.