Off-duty cop arrested following violent crash

PHOTO: Jack Tomczuk

An off-duty police officer was behind the wheel of a car that went airborne Saturday night and flew into a house, severely injuring two people inside, authorities said.

Officer Gregory Campbell, 27, was arrested and charged with aggravated assault, DUI and related crimes following the crash, which occurred at around 8:20 p.m. on the 2800 block of Comly Road in the Far Northeast, police said.

Investigators said Campbell was crossing Comly at Caroline Road when he lost control and slammed into the house.

One of the homeowners, a 53-year-old woman, was trapped under the car and unconscious when emergency personnel arrived at the scene. She was later listed in critical condition at Jefferson Torresdale Hospital, according to police.

A 45-year-old man had injuries to the right side of his body and back. There was no word on his condition.

The car, a 2014 Dodge Dart, also struck two dogs that were inside the home.

Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw called the situation “appalling.” Campbell was most recently assigned to the 14th District in Germantown.

“The consequences of choosing to drive while under the influence are enormous, and all too often, life-changing,” Outlaw said in a statement. “A family should always feel safe in their home, and yet the actions of this individual shattered that reality.”

Six shot over weekend

At least two people were killed and four others were injured by gunfire Saturday and Sunday in Philadelphia.

A 33-year-old man and 35-year-old woman were found dead Saturday morning inside a rooming house on the 4500 block of N. Old York Road in Logan, police said.

Officers found the victims in a second floor bathroom, investigators said. He had multiple gunshot wounds to his arm and head, and she had been shot several times in the head and back.

Police did not recover a weapon at the scene, and the case is being referred to as a double homicide.

On Sunday, just before 1:30 p.m., a 21-year-old man was shot once in the neck inside Philadelphia Mills Mall, formerly known as Franklin Mills, in the Far Northeast, authorities said.

He was transported to the hospital in stable condition, police said.

A man and a woman were hospitalized after shots rang out at around 3:30 a.m. Sunday on the 3200 block of N. Front Street in North Philadelphia.

Investigators said a 24-year-old woman was struck in the left thigh, and a 20-year-old man was hit in the right thigh. Neither sustained life-threatening injuries, according to police.

In Frankford, a 35-year-old woman was shot twice in the thigh just before 2:30 a.m. on the 4100 block of Paul Street, authorities said. She was later listed in stable condition at Temple University Hospital.

No arrests have been made in connection with any of the shootings.

Hit-and-run leaves woman in critical condition

A 25-year-old woman was in critical condition following what police are calling a chain reaction crash early Sunday morning in the Oak Lane neighborhood.

She was driving on the 200 block of E. Cheltenham Ave. at around 3:45 a.m. when she hit three parked vehicles, police said. When she got out to survey the damage, she was hit by a speeding car that fled the scene.

Medical personnel took her to Einstein Medical Center, where she was being treated for serious injuries.

The hit-and-run driver was in a dark-colored sedan, possibly an Audi, investigators said. Police found the front bumper of the car at the scene.