Philly shootings leave 1 dead, 7 injured

Jack Tomczuk

A man was killed and seven other people were wounded in shootings Sunday night and early Monday across Philadelphia.

Police said a man, described as around 40 years old, was found with a gunshot wound to the back of his head just after 7:15 a.m. Monday inside Fisher Park in Olney.

Medics pronounced him dead at the scene, and no arrest was made in the immediate aftermath of the killing.

Later in the day, just after 1 p.m., a 17-year-old girl was shot in the buttocks and hip on the 2200 block of N. Uber Street in North Philadelphia, authorities said. She was rushed to Temple University Hospital in critical condition.

Officers arrested a suspect at the scene and recovered a weapon, but no further information was released Monday.

A 46-year-old man was in critical condition after being shot several times in the abdomen, lower back and left thigh just before 6:30 a.m. Monday on the 2800 block of N. Mutter Street in the Fairhill neighborhood, police said.

In Lawncrest, two people were wounded when shots erupted just before 1 a.m. Monday on the 500 block of Rosalie Street, according to authorities.

A 27-year-old man who was shot in the abdomen, left leg and left foot was taken to Einstein Medical Center in critical condition.

The other victim, a 51-year-old man, was grazed in the stomach and is expected to recover. Police officials told NBC10 he was struck by a stray bullet while riding his bike nearby.

SEPTA transit police were the first on location after a 25-year-old man was shot in the groin and torso at around 12:30 a.m. Monday on the 3200 block of G Street in Kensington. He was later listed in critical condition at Temple University Hospital, authorities said.

On Sunday, at around 8:30 p.m., a 50-year-old man showed up to Einstein Medical Center after being shot on the 1300 block of W. Clearfield Street in North Philadelphia, police said. His injuries are not expected to be life-threatening.

Authorities said a 20-year-old man was shot once in the left hand at around 8 p.m. Sunday on the 900 block of W. Huntingdon Street, also in North Philadelphia. He is expected to physically recover.