Police want help identifying body found in South Philadelphia

domestic violence
Metro file

Investigators hope a distinctive tattoo will help them identify a woman whose body was found badly decomposed three weeks ago in South Philadelphia.

Her body was found inside a large gray container wrapped in plastic wrap July 15 on the 3000 block of Wharton Avenue in Grays Ferry. Police said they have not been able to determine her race or age.

Police provided an image of the tattoo found on the body of a woman discovered last month in South Philadelphia.

She had a tattoo on the upper left part of her back with the words “R.I.P. Jassy 5-11-08” above a rose. The name could also be “Jossy,” authorities said.

Police said the woman was between 5 feet, 5 inches and 5 feet, 7 inches tall. When her body was found, she was wearing multi-colored Lildy-brand leggings, a Forever 21 army green tank top and a bandage on her right forearm.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Homicide Unit at 215-686-1232.


Man killed in crash; two shot; standoff ends peacefully

Strong wind gusts Tuesday afternoon caused a motorcyclist to lose control and run into the side of an electronics store in Northeast Philadelphia, authorities said.

Dritan Cerka, 28, of Holmesburg, was riding just after 3:30 p.m. on the 7200 block of Bustleton Avenue when his motorcycle was blown onto the sidewalk and hit the wall of the P.C. Richards & Son, police said.

He was taken to Jefferson Torresdale Hospital, where he died about an hour later due to severe head injuries. Cerka was not wearing a helmet, according to authorities.

In other news, a 33-year-old woman was shot multiple times just after 3 p.m. Wednesday on the eastbound platform of the Market-Frankford Line’s 46th Street Station in West Philadelphia, police said.

She was rushed to the hospital with gunshot wounds to her stomach and left leg, and there was no word on her condition. No arrests have been made, authorities said.

Officers called to the 3800 block of N. Gratz Street in Nicetown at around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday found a 25-year-old man lying on the street after he was shot in the right shoulder, right arm, stomach and right hip.

He was transported to Temple University Hospital in critical condition. Police reported no arrests.

Police dispatch received a call just before 1:30 a.m. Wednesday from a woman who said a man was threatening her with a shotgun inside a third-floor apartment on the 2500 block of Ashwood Avenue in the Far Northeast.

When officers arrived, the woman met them outside in front of the property, and authorities declared a barricade situation. The man surrendered to SWAT officers on his own at around 3 a.m.

No one was injured, and the man was taken to a mental health facility, according to police.