Three killed in less than 24 hours in Philly

PHOTO: Melissa Mitman

It was a violent 24 hours in Philadelphia, as a man was fatally shot on the El and two others were killed in separate shootings.

A gunman also opened fire on police officers through the window of a property on Kendrick Street near Frankford Avenue in Holmesburg. Police took cover as dozens of bullets were fired.

It all started when officers responded to a report late Sunday night of a man shot, a police source said.

After the man began shooting, police returned fire, and the man set his door on fire before he was arrested, according to the source.

The man reportedly had multiple gunshot wounds, and investigators are working to determine whether he was shot by officers or in an incident that preceded the 911 call.

Meanwhile, SEPTA police found a 41-year-old man with a gunshot wound to his head just after 12:30 a.m. Monday on a Market-Frankford Line train at Allegheny Station, according to authorities. He was rushed to the hospital and pronounced dead, police said.

Homicide detectives continue to investigate the killing.

Earlier Sunday, officers were on the 700 block of Locust Avenue in East Germantown, where a 22-year-old man was shot multiple times in the chest just after 6:30 p.m. He later died at Albert Einstein Medical Center.

No arrests have been made, police said.

Then, on Monday, a 22-year-old man was shot in the neck, back and abdomen a little after noon near the corner of Boston Street and Park Avenue, just north of Temple University’s main campus.

Police rushed him to Temple Hospital, and he died at 12:41 p.m. Authorities did not provide any further information.

Through Sunday, there had been 93 homicides in Philadelphia, a 22 percent increase over the city’s number at this time last year, according to police data. It’s the highest total the city had recorded by March 29 since 2007.

Four people were also injured Sunday night in a trio of shootings in South Philly.

Just after 11 p.m., an 18-year-old woman was shot in the buttocks on the 1500 block of Tasker Street, and, 30 minutes later in an unrelated incident, a 25-year-old woman and 20-year-old man were injured by gunfire at 26th Street and Penrose Avenue, authorities said.

Officers also responded to the 2700 block of Reed Street at about 8:17 p.m. after a man was shot twice in the right ankle.

All four were listed in stable condition, and police did not report any arrests.

In addition, a 34-year-old man was shot once in the lower right leg at 7:20 p.m. Sunday on the 4300 block of Wayne Avenue in Nicetown, police said. He was dropped off at Temple Hospital and placed in stable condition.

More from our Sister Sites