Three killed on snowy night in Philly

domestic violence
Metro file

Three people were killed in shootings even as snow and sleet rained down on Philadelphia Wednesday afternoon into Thursday morning.

Authorities said officers found an unresponsive 31-year-old man with multiple gunshot wounds on the street at around 12:30 a.m. Thursday on the 2100 block of Master Street in North Philadelphia.

He was rushed to Temple University Hospital, where he died at 12:50 a.m., according to police.

Corey Janes, 30, of Northeast Philadelphia, died after he was shot several times in the head just after 11 p.m. Wednesday on the 2300 block of Tasker Street in South Philadelphia.

Earlier in the night, at around 9:30 p.m., officers found a 32-year-old man with nine gunshot wounds and a 26-year-old woman who had been shot in the left wrist and thigh inside a house on the 200 block of W. Wingohocking Street in Feltonville.

The man died a short time later, and the female victim was in critical condition at Temple University Hospital, authorities said.

No arrests have been made in connection with any of the fatal shootings.

There have been 476 homicides this year in Philadelphia, up about 40% compared to this time in 2019 and, according to a database maintained by the Inquirer, more than any year since 1990.

Two others were injured in shootings Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

A 17-year-old boy told detectives he was driving on the 3800 block of Castor Avenue in Juniata at around midnight when he noticed a van closely following his vehicle.

The van pulled up next to his car and someone fired four shots, according to his story. The teen felt a burning feeling in his back and called 911 after driving to the 4200 block of Maywood Street, also in Juniata.

He was taken to the hospital for treatment for a graze wound to his lower back, police said. His injuries are not life-threatening.

Investigators described the suspect as a Hispanic man in his 20s who was driving a gold and black van and wearing a black beanie.

Authorities said a 38-year-old man was transported to Roxborough Memorial Hospital after a shooting at around 8:45 p.m. Wednesday on the 100 block of Salaignac Street in Northwest Philadelphia.

He flagged down passersby on Ridge Avenue after being struck by gunfire in the ear and back. The victim was later taken to Temple University Hospital for surgery and is in stable condition, police said.

An arrest was made after a stabbing inside a property on the 200 block of S. Alden Street in West Philadelphia.

Police said a 53-year-old man was stabbed four times in the arm, three times in the back and once in the neck at around 4:15 p.m. Wednesday. Officers took him to Penn Presbyerian Medical Center, where he is in stable condition.

Authorities did not release information about the suspect. Investigators recovered a weapon at the scene.

More from our Sister Sites