Two killed, five injured in shootings

Police 1st District_02
PHOTO: Melissa Mitman

Two men were killed and at least five people were injured in separate shootings Wednesday and Thursday in Philadelphia, authorities said.

Early Thursday morning, a 45-year-old man was shot in his right arm and left leg on the 2600 block of Elbridge Street in the Lower Northeast. Officers rushed him to Jefferson Torresdale Hospital, where he died hours later, according to police.

Almost exactly 24 hours earlier, at around 1:45 a.m. Wednesday, Darrell Felton, 50, was gunned down in West Philly on S. Yewdall Street near Market Street, the block where he lived, authorities said. He died at the scene.

Police reported no arrests in either killing, and there was no word on possible motives.

Two other men are hospitalized, fighting for lives after being injured by gunfire Thursday.

A 24-year-old man was shot in the neck at 3 p.m. on the 1800 block of E. Clementine Street in Kensington. He was rushed to Temple University Hospital in critical condition, police said.

Just after 1 a.m., a 30-year-old man was shot four times on the 300 block of N. 40th Street in Powelton, authorities said. Officers rushed him to the hospital with wounds to his right arm, torso, buttocks and back.

No arrests have been made in connection with either shooting.

Police did arrest a suspect after a 19-year-old man was shot once in the left shoulder at around 1 p.m. Wednesday on the 600 block of E. Indiana Avenue in Kensington. The victim is listed in stable condition.

At around the same time, officers picked up a man on Carlisle Street in North Philly who had been shot in his chest, left arm and both knees. Investigators say he was the victim of a shooting nearby at 15th and York streets.

He was taken to Temple Hospital in critical condition, authorities said.

Also Wednesday afternoon, a 30-year-old man was shot twice in the chest at 2:20 p.m. on the 2800 block of N. Taylor Street in North Philly, according to police. He’s listed in stable condition at the hospital.

No arrests have been made.

Woman charged in East Falls chase

A Bucks County woman is facing a litany of charges after she allegedly fled a traffic stop Saturday and initiated a chase that ended with a state trooper sustaining a severe concussion.

Gabrielle Finch, 36, of Trevose, was charged Thursday with aggravated assault, leaving the scene of an accident involving injury and other offenses, the District Attorney’s Office said.

Pennsylvania State Trooper Jarrett Harvey pulled Finch over for a traffic violation, prosecutors said, when she took off, blowing stop signs as the trooper gave chase on his motorcycle. The high-speed chase was caught on several surveillance cameras, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

Finch crashed her vehicle and Harvey was thrown off his bike, prosecutors said.

“This defendant’s actions are extremely serious and have endangered the life of Trooper Jarrett Harvey, who was very seriously injured,” DA Larry Krasner said in a statement.

Last year, Finch was sentenced to 12 months probation after pleading guilty to fleeing law enforcement in Bucks County, according to court records. She was also arrested in Monroe County in August and charged with DUI, in a case that is pending.

Finch’s defense attorney in the Philadelphia case could not be immediately identified.

More from our Sister Sites