Two killed in North Philly shootings

Police car
PHOTO: Metro file

Two men were killed in separate shootings Monday in North Philadelphia.

Authorities said a 26-year-old man died after being shot multiple times in the chest, back and leg at around 12:30 p.m.

He was found inside a car near the corner of 30th and Fontain streets in Strawberry Mansion, police said. Officers recovered a gun from the vehicle, but no one has been apprehended.

Early Monday morning, at around 1:30 a.m., a 24-year-old man was shot several times on the 200 block of W. Lehigh Avenue in the Fairhill neighborhood. Police rushed him to the hospital, where he died a short time later.

No arrests were made in the immediate aftermath of the shooting.

Through Sunday, 81 people had been killed in Philadelphia this year, compared to 76 on Feb. 27 of 2021, when the city recorded its highest annual homicide toll, according to police statistics.

In Old City, a 60-year-old man was stabbed three times in the back at around 4:15 a.m. Monday on the 200 block of Market Street. He was in stable condition following the attack, authorities said.

On Sunday night, a man was shot in the face during an attempted carjacking in the Bella Vista section of South Philadelphia, investigators said.

The shooting occurred at around 10:45 p.m. on the 1000 block of South Street. Police said the man sustained a wound to his left cheek and drove himself to Jefferson University Hospital. He is expected to survive.

A 37-year-old man was shot once in the left calf at around 9 p.m. Sunday on the 2100 block of N. Howard Street in North Philadelphia, authorities said. His injuries are not considered life-threatening.


Arrests made in fatal hit-and-runs

Police on Monday said two suspects in a pair of fatal hit-and-run crashes were arrested in recent days, and authorities are offering $20,000 for information on a third.

Clarence Pearson, 56, allegedly struck 64-year-old Angela Kee with his car on the evening of Jan. 7 on the 6300 block of Crescentville Avenue in Oak Lane. He is being charged with homicide by vehicle, involuntary manslaughter and other crimes.

Clarence PearsonPhiladelphia Police

In the other case, a fatal crash that occurred Jan. 21 in Southwest Philadelphia, 26-year-old Rayven Pon turned himself in last Wednesday.

Aster Techene Metike, 46, was killed when she was hit by a car on the 2700 block of Island Avenue in the Eastwick neighborhood. Pon was charged with causing an accident involving death in connection with the crash.

“It took a lot of footwork from our investigators, and both of those arrests are a result of the recovery of surveillance video,” Capt. Mark Overwise, commander of the police’s accident investigation unit, told reporters Monday.

Pearson’s bail was set at 10% of $750,000, while Pon was released on a $100,000 unsecured bond, according to court documents.

Detectives are still looking for a man who got out of his car and fled on foot after hitting and killing 50-year-old Desiree Jainlet on Jan. 21 in North Philadelphia.

Jainlet had just gotten off a SEPTA bus at Broad Street and Allegheny Avenue when she was struck by a Chevrolet Impala. The driver and other men inside the car were caught on surveillance video running away from the scene.

Surveillance image from Broad and Allegheny crash.Philadelphia Police

The city is offering a $20,000 reward for anyone who provides information leading to the arrest and conviction of a suspect in the case. Call or text 215-686-8477.

More from our Sister Sites