Weekend crime rundown: Two people killed, 13 people injured in less than 36 hours

Two people were killed and at least 13 people were injured – five of them critically – in less than 36 hours this weekend following eight reported shootings, one stabbing, a home invasion and a hit-and-run between Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon.

The violence touched off early Saturday morning, when two men were shot in Logan. Police responded to Albert Einstein Medical Center shortly after midnight, where they first found a 22-year-old who was being treated for a gunshot wound to the elbow. He said he was shot from behind by an unknown person at 18th and Sulis streets as he walked from a Chinese takeout store.

Officers then found a second victim, 23, who had been shot in the arm and leg. That man said he was also at 18th and Sulis streets when an unknown person opened fire, though he denied being in the company of the first victim. Both men are in stable condition.

A 32-year-old man was assaulted by six gunmen dressed in police or
military-style uniforms in a home invasion in the Northwood section of
Frankford several hours later. The victim was approached around 5:15
a.m. in his house on the 5200 block of Castor Avenue and taken to an
unknown location, where he was pistol-whipped and burned with a
blowtorch, police said.

The suspects then drove back to the residence,
leaving the man inside their car while they duct taped his wife and took
an undisclosed amount of cash and a safe. They fled, leaving the victim
on the street. He is in stable condition at Aria-Frankford Hospital.
The Northeast Detective Division is continuing to investigate the

A 21-year-old man and his 10-year-old
cousin were injured in a hit-and-run in Port Richmond about an hour later. According to
investigators, the pair were in the crosswalk at Castor and Aramingo
avenues shortly after 6:30 a.m. when they were hit by a dark gray BMW
SUV driving west on Castor.

The 21-year-old victim was rushed to Temple University Hospital in
critical condition with head trauma and multiple fractures. The
10-year-old boy was admitted with multiple fractures to St.
Christopher’s Hospital for Children in critical condition. The striking
vehicle is described as a 2011 to 2013 E70 series, X5-model SUV missing
its front drivers side headlight and side mirror assemblies.

A man was killed in Holmesburg Saturday night. The victim, 28, was shot
multiple times on the 7800 block of Frankford Avenue shortly before 10
p.m. and died on the scene. His identity has not yet been released.

A 17-year-old man was shot in the hand on the 2900 block of Frankford Avenue about an hour later and taken by private auto to Episcopal Hospital, where he is in stable condition.

A man was stabbed to death at 41st and Parrish streets in the Belmont section of West Philadelphia a little over an hour after that. The victim, whose name and age have not yet been released, was stabbed in the chest around 12:30 a.m. Sunday and died at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania a short time later.

A 19-year-old man was shot in the leg on the 400 block of North 3rd Street near Callowhill Street early Sunday morning. He is in stable condition at Hahnemann University Hospital.

Two men were shot shortly after 3:15 a.m. Sunday at Broad and Pike streets in Nicetown. Police said one victim, 24, was shot five times in the stomach and leg and walked into Temple University Hospital. The second victim, 25, was shot six times — three times in each leg — and was taken by medics to Temple University Hospital. Both men are in stable condition.

Two men were shot in Parkside less than two hours later. Officers responded to the 5100 block of Lancaster Avenue shortly before 5 a.m., where they found a large, uncooperative crowd. They located one victim, 49, in critical condition at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, where he had been taken by private car and was undergoing surgery to treat four gunshot wounds.

Police then received information that there was a second victim, 58, being treated at Lankenau Hospital for a gunshot wound to the calf. Both men said they didn’t see a gunman, but heard shots ring out just before they were hit.

Two men were shot less than 20 minutes apart in two separate incidents Sunday afternoon.
One man, 26, was shot four times in the stomach on the 1700 block of North Aberdeen Street near 53rd Street and Parkside Avenue in Wynnefield Heights while walking to a corner store shortly after 11:30 a.m. He is in critical condition at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

The second man, 33, was shot once in the head at West Glenwood and West Allegheny avenues in North Philadelphia shortly around 11:50 a.m. and taken to Temple University Hospital, where he is also in critical condition.

No arrests have yet been made in any of this weekend’s crimes.