Weekend shootings in Philly leave 3 dead

South Street shooting

At least three people were fatally shot over the weekend in Philadelphia, raising the city’s homicide total for the year above 500.

Police said a 21-year-old man died just before 2 p.m. Sunday after being shot twice in the chest on the 2200 block of N. Park Avenue in North Philadelphia.

That followed a deadly shooting on Saturday night, just before 7:15 p.m. on Nov. 27, in which a 33-year-old man was shot 18 times on the 500 block of W. Duncannon Street in Olney. He was rushed to Einstein Medical Center, where he succumbed to his injuries a short time later, authorities said.

Several hours earlier, at around 3 p.m. Saturday, officers rushed a 51-year-old man to Jefferson University Hospital after he was shot in the left shoulder on the 700 block of N. 10th Street in North Philadelphia. He did not survive.

Authorities did not report any arrests in the immediate aftermath of the shootings.

Philadelphia reached 500 homicides for 2021 on Nov. 24, when 55-year-old Eloise Harmon was killed in South Philadelphia. The city’s murder total is now the highest its been in any year for which data is available.

Meanwhile, a 30-year-old man was rushed to Temple University Hospital in critical condition after being stabbed in the neck at around 1:45 p.m. at the corner of Ella Street and Indiana Avenue in Kensington, police said.

In the adjacent Fairhill neighborhood, a 59-year-old man was shot once in the abdomen and once in the right side during a robbery at around 7:30 a.m. Sunday on the 700 block of W. Allegheny Avenue, investigators said.

He was taken to Temple University Hospital and is expected to survive.

Earlier, at around 4:30 a.m. Sunday, a 25-year-old man showed up at the hospital after being shot twice in the right arm outside on the 2000 block of E. Williams Street in Kensington, authorities said. He was later listed in stable condition.

On Saturday, two young men were wounded when gunfire erupted just after 10 p.m. on the 2700 block of Mutter Street in Fairhill.

Police said a 20-year-old man was shot twice in the right thigh, and an 18-year-old man was shot eight times throughout his body. He is expected to survive, but the older victim was listed in critical condition.

A 17-year-old boy was fighting for his life after being shot in the face at around 5:45 p.m. Saturday on the 1200 block of N. 50th Street in the Parkside section of West Philadelphia, authorities said.

He was rushed to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center in extremely critical condition.

No one was apprehended in connection with any of the weekend’s violence.