Weekend violence leaves 1 dead, 6 injured

Metro file

A man was killed and six other people were hospitalized following shootings and stabbings Saturday and Sunday across the city.

Police said a 56-year-old man was fatally stabbed during a dispute at a family birthday party Saturday night in West Philadelphia.

Officers responded just before 10:45 p.m. to the 500 block of N. Vodges Street, where they found the man suffering from multiple stab wounds, according to authorities. He died about an hour later at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, police said.

Detectives believe the stabbing stemmed from a verbal altercation at the party, and a suspect was apprehended at the scene. Authorities have not publicly identified that person or the victim.

Two men were struck when gunfire erupted at around 2:45 a.m. Sunday near the corner of Franklin Street and Lehigh Avenue in Fairhill, investigators said.

A 36-year-old man who had been shot multiple times was transported to Temple University Hospital in critical condition, police said. The other victim, a 32-year-old man, was struck in his knee and is being treated for nonlife-threatening injuries, according to authorities.

Minutes earlier, just after 2:30 a.m., a 26-year-old man was stabbed once in his abdomen on the 1100 block of Locust Street in Center City, police said. He was taken to Jefferson University Hospital and listed in stable condition.

Investigators said a suspect was immediately apprehended, though no further information has been released.

On Saturday, just before 10:45 p.m., officers were called to the 3100 block of N. 7th Street in Fairhill, where they found an 18-year-old woman with a gunshot wound to her leg, authorities said. Her injuries are not expected to be life-threatening.

Detectives, from a preliminary investigation, believe the teenager’s ex-girlfriend and that woman’s new partner escalated an ongoing dispute by driving to the victim’s house and shooting her from inside a white vehicle.

Police are unsure who pulled the trigger, and no arrests have been made.

In East Germantown, someone shot a 52-year-old man twice in his back at around 10:15 p.m. Saturday inside the doorway of a home on the 200 block of E. Ashmead Street, according to police. The man was later listed in stable condition at Einstein Medical Center.

Early Saturday morning, at around 4:15 a.m., a 35-year-old man was shot once in his arm at 65th Street and Greenway Avenue in Southwest Philadelphia, authorities said. He is expected to physically recover.