Weekend violence leaves 36 shot, 5 dead in Philadelphia

Jack Tomczuk

Six people were wounded in shootings and two others were injured in stabbings in separate incidents Sunday night and early Monday in Philadelphia.

Two men were taken to the hospital after gunfire erupted just before 1:30 p.m. Monday on the 100 block of W. Lehigh Avenue in the Fairhill neighborhood, police said.

A 21-year-old man was shot in the upper back, and a 40-year-old man was struck in the leg, according to authorities. Both were in stable condition following the shooting.

Investigators believe three men were involved in shooting a 20-year-old man just before 3 a.m. Monday at a gas station on the 4200 block of G Street in Juniata.

The victim was taken to Temple University Hospital with gunshot wounds to both legs and is expected to survive, according to authorities.

Police said a 56-year-old woman was hit with a lawn chair and stabbed in her lower abdomen at around 12:30 a.m. Monday on the 8800 block of Krewstown Road in Bustleton. She was hospitalized in stable condition.

She knows her attacker, investigators said, but police have not yet apprehended a suspect.

Two shootings occurred within several minutes and several blocks Sunday night in West Philadelphia’s Mantua neighborhood.

At around 11:30 p.m., officers were called to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center after a 33-year-old man arrived with a gunshot wound to his lower left leg, police said.

Authorities believe the shooting occurred on the 3800 block of Brown Street. The victim’s injuries are not considered life-threatening.

On the nearby 3200 block of Haverford Avenue, about 10 minutes earlier, a 30-year-old man was shot in the chest and face, police said. Officers rushed him to Penn Presbyterian, where he was in critical condition following the shooting.

In North Philadelphia, someone stabbed a 34-year-old man in the back at around 8:30 p.m. Sunday near the corner of 12th and Huntingdon streets, authorities said. He showed up to Temple University Hospital in stable condition.

A 17-year-old boy was in critical condition after he was shot in the chest and stomach just before 7 p.m. Sunday inside a house on the 1400 block of S. Taylor Street in South Philadelphia, according to police.

Investigators said the boy knows who shot him, though authorities have not made an arrest.

Weekend violence
Metro file

Sunday night’s violence ended a brutal weekend for Philadelphia, with at least 36 people shot — and five killed — Friday night through Sunday, including the 14 victims of the mass shooting on South Street.

Among those killed over the weekend was 19-year-old Matayah Haynes, who was identified by authorities Monday morning.

Haynes, who lived in Camden, was 34 weeks pregnant when she was shot in the head at around 1:15 a.m. Saturday at the corner of Richmond Street and Wheatsheaf Lane in Port Richmond.

Police said doctors were able to deliver her baby boy, but he remains hospitalized in serious condition.

No one has been arrested in connection with Haynes’s homicide.