Woman killed, five others shot on West Philly block

Jack Tomczuk

Four people were injured in a drive-by shooting Thursday morning on the same West Philadelphia block where a woman was killed and a teenager was critically wounded the night before.

Police said a 30-year-old woman died not long after being shot several times at around 9:45 p.m. Wednesday on the 3800 block of Aspen Street in the Mantua neighborhood.

During the shooting, an 18-year-old man was also struck four times, authorities said. Officers took him to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center in critical condition.

Detectives found two guns on the scene, including one apparently belonging to the woman who was killed, according to investigators. No arrests have been made.

Then, at around 11 a.m. Thursday, people inside a Jeep opened fire at the corner of 38th and Aspen, hitting four people and forcing the nearby Morton McMichael Elementary School to go on lockdown.

Authorities said a 32-year-old man was shot multiple times in the lower body, as was a 44-year-old man. A 32-year-old man was struck in the lower leg, and another man was grazed in the thigh.

All four were taken to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center and listed in stable condition.

Police have not said whether the drive-by was related to the previous night’s shooting.

Meanwhile, three people were apprehended after a 47-year-old woman was shot twice in the face just after 5 p.m. inside a house on the 1800 block of E. Tusculum Street in Kensington, investigators said.

She died a short time later, authorities said, and officers on the scene recovered a gun. No charges had been filed in the case as of Thursday afternoon.

A 23-year-old man was stabbed Thursday morning during a fight near 30th Street Station, police said. The incident occurred just before 7:45 a.m. at the corner of Market Street and Schuylkill Avenue.

The victim was taken to Penn Presbyterian with a wound to his buttocks. His injuries are not considered life-threatening.

Earlier, at around 4:30 a.m., a 43-year-old woman was stabbed in the back inside a property on the 5500 block of Girard Avenue in West Philadelphia, police said. She was hospitalized in stable condition.

Investigators recovered a weapon, but no one was arrested in the immediate aftermath of the stabbing.

A 42-year-old man was dropped off at Temple University Hospital after being shot five times on the 2400 block of Cecil B. Moore Avenue in North Philadelphia, authorities said. He is expected to survive, according to police.

Officers took four people into custody after a standoff that followed a shooting Wednesday night in West Philadelphia.

A 46-year-old man was shot in the head at around 8:45 p.m. near the corner of 56th Street and Osage Avenue. Police rushed him to Penn Presbyterian, where he was in stable condition.

One or two men believed to be involved in the shooting ran into a property on Osage Avenue and refused to come out, investigators said. Eventually, officers entered the building and arrested three men and a woman.