Man killed in early morning shooting in North Philadelphia


A 23 year-old man died early Monday morning after being shot several times in North Philadelphia, police said.

The shooting occurred just before 4:45 a.m. on the 1400 block of W. Allegheny Avenue, according to investigators. The victim, Hyram Hill, succumbed to his injuries a short time later at Temple University Hospital.

Hill’s father is an active-duty Philadelphia police officer, authorities said Monday afternoon.

Police on Monday identified a 23-year-old man who was fatally shot at around noon Sunday in Hunting Park.

Jimmy Rodriguez was shot once in the head and twice in the leg inside a store on the 4500 block of N. 7th Street, steps away from where he lived on Annsbury Street, authorities said.

No arrests were reported in the immediate aftermath of either killing.

Since the beginning of the month, 38 people have been killed in Philadelphia, a similar number to this time last year, when the city’s homicide total reached a record high.

On Monday, a 15-year-old boy was shot once in the left arm just before 3:15 p.m. on the 1400 block of W. Susquehanna Avenue in North Philadelphia, police said. He was transported to Temple University Hospital and is expected to physically recover.

At around 3 a.m. Monday, a 34-year-old man was shot in the abdomen on the 2100 block of N. 23rd Street in North Philadelphia, according to police. He was rushed to Temple University Hospital and later listed in stable condition.

Earlier, just before 12:45 a.m., a 25-year-old man showed up to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center with a gunshot wound to his right shoulder.

Investigators said he was shot on the 3100 block of 61st Street in Southwest Philadelphia. His injuries are not considered life-threatening.

A 31-year-old man was in critical condition after being shot multiple times inside a seafood restaurant in Northeast Philadelphia’s Rhawnhurst neighborhood, authorities said.

Police said a gunman opened fire just before 9:30 p.m. Sunday inside the Wild Crab restaurant on the 2500 block of Cottman Avenue. The victim was struck in the chest, back and right leg and taken to Jefferson Torresdale Hospital.

Two men were hospitalized when shots erupted just before 8:45 p.m. Sunday on the 4900 block of Wayne Avenue in Germantown.

A 49-year-old man was shot in the left leg, and the other victim, an 18-year-old man, was shot in the right leg, according to authorities. Both were listed in stable condition at Temple University Hospital.

In Frankford, an employee and another man were in critical condition at Temple Hospital following a shooting inside a corner store.

Investigators said the employee, a 23-year-old man, was shot once in his side and a 28-year-old man was shot in his side and arm just before 7:45 p.m. Sunday on the 1500 block of Arrott Street, near SEPTA’s Arrott Transportation Center.

The 28-year-old was allegedly involved in the shooting, and police said he is expected to face charges. Authorities have not identified him.

Investigators said the shooting did not appear to be an attempted robbery, but detectives are still determining the motive.