Four killed as rampant shootings continue

police car
PHOTO: Melissa Mitman

A violent weekend gave way to a violent start to the week in Philadelphia, as four people were killed and nine people were injured in shootings in less than 24 hours Monday into Tuesday.

Police said a 44-year-old man was taken to Temple University Hospital with a gunshot wound to the neck after a shooting was reported at around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday near the corner of 23rd Street and Ridge Avenue in North Philadelphia.

He succumbed to his injuries at 3 a.m., according to authorities.

Investigators said a woman found her boyfriend shot dead Monday night inside the passenger’s seat of his car, and detectives are looking into whether he was the victim of a shooting hours earlier on the other side of the city.

The vehicle was discovered just before 10:45 p.m. Monday on the 1200 block of S. 57th Street in Kingsessing. Police said she used a cellphone tracking service to locate the car.

Authorities are considering the possibility that he was involved in a shooting that occurred just after 5:15 p.m. Monday near the intersection of Lee Street and Indiana Avenue in Kensington.

A 20-year-old man died shortly after being shot in the face, chest and arm at around 5 p.m. Monday at the corner of N. 29th and Oakdale streets in the Strawberry Mansion neighborhood, according to police.

Earlier in the day, just before 4 p.m., a 20-year-old man was gunned down on the 3100 block of Jasper Street in Kensington. A 28-year-old man was also wounded in the shooting and later listed in stable condition at Temple University Hospital, authorities said.

No one has been arrested in connection with any of the killings.

Seven people were killed in shootings Saturday and Sunday, and Philadelphia has recorded 188 homicides this year, up 37% over this time in 2020, according to police data.

Meanwhile, several other people were hospitalized following gunfire Monday and Tuesday.

An 18-year-old man was shot eight times, including in the chest and stomach, just after 10:45 a.m. Tuesday on 40th Street just north of Market Street in University City, authorities said.

He was taken to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center in critical condition. Officers recovered a gun from the victim, according to investigators.

A 21-year-old man told police he was shot during a botched robbery early Tuesday morning at a playground in Port Richmond.

According to his story, he was drinking with friends at Stokely Playground when a gunman demanded he hand over his belongings, police said. He ran, hearing gunshots and was hit in the leg.

However, investigators did not find evidence of a shooting at the playground, authorities said.

Officers were called to Episcopal Hospital at around 3:45 a.m. to speak with the victim. He was listed in stable condition.

Earlier Tuesday, just after 1 a.m., a 30-year-old man was transported to Temple University Hospital in critical condition after being shot in the buttocks on the 800 block of E. Allegheny Avenue in Kensington.

Authorities said a 20-year-old man was hospitalized with a gunshot wound to his left thigh after shots were fired at around 12:40 a.m. Tuesday on the 1600 block of N. 20th Street in North Philadelphia. His injuries are not expected to be life-threatening.

Investigators recovered a gun, but no one has been apprehended.

In West Philadelphia, a 31-year-old man was shot in the right knee at around 8 p.m. Monday on the 3800 block of Wyalusing Avenue, police said. Officers took him to Penn Presbyterian, and he is expected to make a recovery.

A 17-year-old boy was rushed to the hospital after being shot in the face just after 7:30 p.m. Monday on the 5000 block of Wade Street in Germantown. Authorities said he was in critical condition at Einstein Medical Center.

Two men were seriously injured when someone opened fire at around 5 p.m. Monday on the 3400 block of N. Howard Street in North Philadelphia.

Police said a 72-year-old man was shot in the cheek and a 45-year-old man suffered multiple gunshot wounds throughout his body. The elder victim was expected to survive, while the other man was in critical condition, according to authorities.

There were no arrests reported relating to any of the shootings.