Philly weekend shootings leave 1 dead, 7 injured

Police car
Jack Tomczuk

At least one person was killed and seven others wounded in shootings over the weekend across Philadelphia.

Police were called at around 4:30 a.m. Saturday to a house on the 200 block of N. Peach St. in West Philadelphia for a report of a shooting, and officers found a man lying on the kitchen floor of the property with a gunshot wound to his back, investigators said.

The man, whose age was not released, was rushed to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, where he died just after 5 a.m., according to authorities.

On Sunday, just after 2 p.m, a 25-year-old man was shot in the chest and shoulder outside on the 2900 block of Ridge Avenue in Strawberry Mansion, police said.

He showed up to Temple University Hospital in a private vehicle and was in stable condition following the shooting.

A 25-year-old man was in critical condition after being shot several times at around 2 a.m. Sunday on Redfield Street just south of Market Street in West Philadelphia, authorities said.

Two hours earlier, just after midnight, someone shot a 38-year-old man in the left shoulder on the 4700 block of W. Girard Ave., also in West Philadelphia, according to police.

He was taken to a nearby hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries.

In Kensington, a 19-year-old man was shot once in the right arm at around 11:30 p.m. Saturday on the 3000 block of Ruth Street, authorities said. He is expected to physically recover.

Two men were seriously wounded when gunfire erupted just after 2:45 p.m. Saturday on the 2600 block of W. Harold Street in North Philadelphia.

Police said a 42-year-old man was shot once in the chest and a 21-year-old man was struck in the right thigh. Both were later listed in critical condition at Temple University Hospital.

Earlier, just after 11 a.m., a 32-year-old woman was shot once in the left arm on the 2500 block of Bellford Street in the Eastwick section of Southwest Philadelphia, authorities said. She was hospitalized with nonlife-threatening injuries.

No arrests were reported in the immediate aftermath of any of the shootings.