Teenage girl dies week after shooting

domestic violence
Metro file

A 15-year-old girl died Tuesday after being shot last week in West Philadelphia, authorities said.

Embaba Menegesteabe was shot in the left side of her head just before 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 23 on the 6200 block of Chestnut Street, not far from where she lived, according to police.

During the same incident, a 20-year-old man was also shot in the head. Police said he was treated and released from the hospital.

Investigators recovered a weapon at the scene, but there have been no arrests.

In other news, an 18-year-old man was gunned down Wednesday afternoon near the corner of 17th Street and Erie Avenue in North Philadelphia.

Police said he was shot in the neck just before 3:15 p.m. and was rushed to Temple University Hospital, where he died minutes later.

A 17-year-old boy was grazed by a bullet at around 1:45 p.m. Wednesday on the 200 block of Howell Street in the Crescentville section of Northeast Philadelphia. He was taken to Einstein Medical Center with a wound to his head.

On Tuesday night, just before 11 p.m., two men were injured after shots rang out on the 2800 block of Park Avenue in North Philadelphia.

Authorities said a 28-year-old man and a 31-year-old man were each shot once in the left leg. Both were later listed in stable condition at Temple University Hospital.

Detectives are investigating after three men stole an ATM from a corner store on the 1200 block of N. 29th Street in Brewerytown.

At around 1:30 a.m., the group entered the store, which was still open, and carried the machine out the door, police said. No one was injured.

An ATM exploded early Tuesday morning outside a Wells Fargo branch in Chestnut Hill, and no one was hurt in that case, either.


Trio charged in Delco Wawa robberies

Three men have been charged in federal court for allegedly robbing a pair of Wawa stores at gunpoint in 2019.

Quintel Martins, 27, of Drexel Hill, DeAndrew Jackson, 23, of Newark, Delaware, and Christopher Winfield, of Wilmington, Delaware, are accused of hitting Wawas in Wayne and Drexel Hill in a three-month span.

During a traffic stop in October 2019, law enforcement found the trio in possession of masks, gloves and guns, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Authorities said the group nabbed $7,800 in cash and other items during the robberies.

“The conduct alleged in the Indictment displays an appalling disregard for the safety of others,” Acting U.S. Attorney Jennifer Arbittier Williams said in a statement Wednesday.

“The employees of these stores were just going about their daily business when they were allegedly terrorized at gunpoint,” she added.

Martins and Winfield have been in federal custody since January, and Jackson was arrested Tuesday.


Detectives investigating Center City mugging

A surveillance image shows a few of the suspects in a Center City mugging. PHOTO: Police

Investigators released surveillance video Wednesday showing a group of five young men or boys who mugged a man last month in Center City.

Police said a 45-year-old man was walking on 16th Street between Chestnut and Market streets just before 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 16, when he was hit in the side of the head from behind.

The suspects continued to punch and kick the man and demanded his wallet, authorities said. After he refused to give it up, the group left without taking anything, according to investigators.

Meanwhile, the victim was treated for cuts and swelling to his face.

Detectives used surveillance footage to track the group as they boarded the Market Frankford Line and got off at the 40th Street station in University City.


Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact Central Detectives at 215-686-3093/3094; call or text 215-686-8477; or submit an anonymous tip at www.phillypolice.com/forms/submit-a-tip.