Philadelphia boy, 9, injured in shooting

Increased Police Visibility at Philly Pride Parade
Getty Images

A 9-year-old boy was among five people shot Monday night through Tuesday afternoon in Philadelphia.

Investigators believe the bullet came through a window and struck the boy in the left knee while he was inside a house on the 5100 block of Westford Road in Olney.

Officers arrived on the scene just before 10:30 p.m. Monday and took him to the hospital, where he was later listed in stable condition.

Earlier in the day, just before 6 p.m., 21-year-old Tarik Hooks was found with multiple gunshot wounds inside a car on the 3900 block of Aspen Street in the Mantua section of West Philadelphia, authorities said.

Hooks died a short time later at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, according to police.

On Tuesday, a 27-year-old man was in critical condition after being shot three times at around 2:15 p.m. on the 3300 block of N. 21st Street in the Tioga neighborhood.

He was taken to Temple University Hospital in a private vehicle, and detectives were looking inside the car for evidence.

In South Philadelphia, a 52-year-old man was shot in the left arm and right leg at around 12:15 a.m. Tuesday on the 1300 block of S. 4th Street, police said.

Officers took him to Jefferson University Hospital, and his injuries are not life-threatening, according to authorities.

Police said a 25-year-old man was rushed to the hospital with a wound to his neck after gunfire erupted just after 11:30 p.m. Monday on the 4300 block of Sheffield Avenue in Northeast Philadelphia’s Holmesburg neighborhood.

He was listed in critical condition at Jefferson Torresdale Hospital.

No arrests were reported in connection with any of the shootings.

In other news, authorities said a man was stabbed early Tuesday morning aboard a Market-Frankford Line NiteOwl shuttle bus.

Investigators said a 35-year-old man was stabbed in the neck, chest, knee and thigh following a verbal altercation with another man. He was transported to Jefferson University Hospital and later listed in stable condition.

Officers got to the scene, on the 400 block of N. 5th Street in Center City, at around 2 a.m. The suspect was not apprehended, according to police.

Transport Workers Local 234, the largest union representing SEPTA employees, has raised concerns about safety on the shuttle buses, which run overnight when MFL train service stops.

SEPTA is in the process of revamping its safety procedures, and it recently added 60 unarmed security guards to MFL stations between 15th Street and Frankford Transportation Center.

More from our Sister Sites